9 Great Survival uses for Chapstick (Lip Balm)
In my EDC (Every Day Carry) I have a small but mighty selection of items that are helpful each day or could be very helpful if faced with a serious emergency. My Sypderco Tenacious G-10 knife, a trusty BIC lighter, a Keltec pf9 9mm, a parachord bracelet, a Leatherman Wave multi-tool and…
Yep, my father’s side has a genetic predisposition for chapped lips and dry skin, so each and every day I carry a little tube (or two) of Chapstick. (Mostly Burt’s Bees)
Now when you’re looking at preparedness, redundancy and multi-use items are key. You want a few simple items that can do multiple things. Think versatility. So as a prepper, having a single use item in my pocket daily kind of “urked” me a little. That’s when I started researching multiple uses in survival situations for lip balm (aka Chapstick).
Here’s what I’ve found so far.
9 Great Survival uses for Lip Balm:
- Chapped lips – (duh, thats why we buy it in the first place)
- In extreme cold weather, you can rub it on the exposed parts of your face. The thin layer helps prevent heat loss by limiting radiation and air convection.
- Lubrication for your fire bow drill, etc.
- It is a great firestarter! It works just like petroleum jelly. You can rub it on a piece of cloth, lint from your pocket, a cotton ball, gauze pad from your first aid kit, or even on natural tender. I always have a cotton ball or two stuffed in my match case to keep the matches from ratteling around and in my little pill vial I use to carry some basic medicines.
- Emergency waterproofer. You can even use it to plug a small hole in your tent, poncho, or tube tent that is leaking in the rain.
- Rub it on a hot spot on your foot to help prevent a pending blister (lubricant).
- Mix it with some black ash and rub under your eyes to keep the glare down (great for desert or snowy terrain).
- Do the same above to camo your face for hunting, works much better than mud and is kind of water resistant.
- Not as good as oil, but I think it is a decent expedient rust preventative to rub on carbon steel knives.